10.06.2005

5:30 am

Today's my first day working my new schedule at work. I'm working 9 hour days so that I can have a 3 day weekend every other week for my community time with the Sisters in Seattle. It seemed like a good plan, and I used to work this schedule.

But this morning when the alarm went off at 5:30 AM!!!!! Ugghhh... It took a lot of inner strength to not turn it off and go back to sleep :)

I'll get used to it. But adding an hour to my work day when it's a struggle to find it in me to care about my bureaucratic work-a-day life as it is ... Not easy.

No one ever said this was all going to be easy though. And I do have an "exit strategy" and a whole life ahead to look forward to.

For now though, off to work for the man.

PS - A commenter asked the other day if bureaucracy was a disease, since I describe myself as a "recovering bureaucrat." No. I still firmly believe in government and the need for good people in government. It's just that I now know that I'm meant to do something else, something with a little more heart. And that's been a big shift for me because believe it or not, I always wanted to be a government worker! Yes, little Susan used to visit her mom at work and dream of the day she too could be a bureaucrat! Funny :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to be a government worker! Yes, little Susan used to visit her mom at work and dream of the day she too could be a bureaucrat!

I dont' know, Susan, that sounds like a sickness to me! :-D

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

That's why I'M a recovering bureaucrat! :)

Steph Youstra said...

What if you wanted to be a horse when you grew up?