11.21.2005

a common theme

One great thing about this weekend was getting to meet two women who are checking out the groovy sisters. Three actually, but one of them was looking into associate membership. The other two vowed membership. To turn one of my favorite Star Wars lines on its head, "I have a good feeling about this." I highly doubt I'll be among the last to "turn out the lights." God is still calling, and people are picking up the phone.

Anyway, one of the women I met shared that she has a good amount of personal debt so it would be a while before she could move too far along the process of joining any community. I also read on seeking something and mere complexities today about personal debts being an obstacle to pursuing a vocation. A common theme.

Indicative I think of our society, which encourages us to spend beyond our means and requires us to go into hock to get a decent education.

When I first starting exploring this vocation thing, I began looking at communities as a reality check. But I had no intention of "signing up". In fact, as I had 3 to 4 years to go on my debt repayment plan I thought I couldn't. Little did I know I'd feel completely at home the first place I looked, although it took me about six months to admit that to myself. But I did. God was opening a door, and I was brave and stepped inside.

The amazing thing is that as I have tried to be open to going through the doors opened by God, more doors were opened. Each step of the way this process - inquirer, pre-candidate and now candidate - has seemed like the right place to be. And that 3 to 4 year debt timeline? It has now shrunk to the one year left before my now likely, but earlier seemingly impossible, entrance into novitiate next fall.

God works wonders. And has many tricks up the proverbial sleeve to get us where God wants us.

So my advice to those of you wondering how you will ever get your debt paid off so you can follow that Jesus guy? Go through the doors that open. You might be surprised at how it all turns out. I was ... and still am.

4 comments:

seeking_something said...

Thanks. My debt has much to do with supporting another human with medical needs (and who has occasional splurges which I indulge for the sake of the person's emotional well-being). I have many years ago stopped pursuing the $ when I realized that my earning can never satisfy the needs of this person. This debt thing, although always a *little* distressing, is only recently most distressing because only recently has it stopped me from going where I think I need to go.

However, I can't help but push forward as I am restless, and am totally unwilling to quit on God for whom all things are possible.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Eudaimonia said...

Yes, thanks. The encouragement is greatly appreciated.

The student loans were part of the plan, originally. It doesn't seem like much, until suddenly you owe the government $30k.

I have always been told that, really, people don't ever finish paying of their student loans, which can be discouraging.

The problems started when plans changed ;)

Unknown said...

You're right on target about the debt thing and it's delaying effects on moving forward with vocation discernment. I had huge debt on top of student loans after finishing college. It took me 10 years to get rid of all of it, and the feeling of relief and freedom once it was all gone was unbelievable. Oh, and speaking from experience: it IS POSSIBLE to get out of debt completely!!!

Keep on plugging away at it and don't lose hope.

Steph Youstra said...

If I'm not mistaken, my community has begun to make a distinction between "student loan debt" and "other debt" ... given that just about everyone has student loan debt these days. And in terms of "other" debt -- I think they take the situation into account.

At least ask the questions ....