11.28.2005

It was a cold and rainy night

Tonight was a cold and rainy night in the City of Roses. With that opening, you might be surprised to read it was an enjoyable evening, and a snapshot of what I love about Portland.

After work I meandered through some admittedly messy traffic to the University of Portland for the first of our four Advent Peace Prayer Vigils. Simple, prayerful and peaceful as one might expect. On the way home I remembered that I needed some lavender buds, a vanilla bean and some green mint tea to finish up some crafty Christmas presents (soap and bath salts). So I popped into New Seasons, a locally owned healthy grocery chain. Not only did I find exactly what I needed … it was 20% off! I then dropped by Powell’s Books downtown. I was looking for a semi-obscure book about the transition to religious life. One of my fellow groovy-sisters-to-be wanted me to read it so we could talk about it. I’d checked it out on Amazon where it was $17.95, but then checked the powells.com site. Lo and behold they not only had it, but it was used and in stock at the downtown store so no need to order online! And sure enough, I popped right in, found the book exactly where the computer said it would be, and got it for $7.95 off the shelf. Ahhhhh … Portland. I do love this place.

Earlier at the Peace Service I ran into someone I hadn’t seen in a while. He noted he hadn’t seen much of me since I started my groovy sister trips. He asked more about the community, and why I "picked this outfit." I shared with him what I usually say, that the charism of peace through justice is "me," that I feel at home with the community and that they’re just plain fun. He hadn’t realized that this transition would mean a most likely permanent departure from Portland. I’ll be heading to New Jersey for 2 years of novitiate and then probably back to Seattle.


But what I realized when I was talking to him is that more and more I’m pretty much ok with that reality. I do love Portland. This is where I became an adult. Where I came into my own. Where I was able to find God and grow in relationship to Jesus, the church and the world. This is my college town. I’ve worked for City government for over 10 years. My best friends are here. I know my way around. People know me. I can get herbs and used books at the drop of a hat. I can cross rivers every day and see street names straight out of the Simpsons and Beverly Cleary books.

I love this place. But at the same time, I’m beginning to realize that it’s time to move on. To explore other places. To see how else and where else I can grow. It’s so easy for me to be in Portland. It’s time to stretch. But Portland will also be home. Even if it’s not my only home. It’s got a special place in my heart.


5 comments:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

I had to leave a place I loved, and some of the best friends I've ever had in order to enter the Jesuits.

I miss them a lot, and only get back to see them every couple of years, but even when I'm there with them, remembering the great times we've had, I know I made the right decision.

But that wasn't always apparent right away. So when the time comes to make your move, try to remember that!

Have a blessed advent!

Peace,

Mark

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks Mark.

As always I appreciate the input of my bloggy friends who know of what i write.

It will be tough, no doubt. But interesting to watch the beginnings of an internal shift towards some sort of closure.

Anonymous said...

A little over a year ago I made the tough decision to leave Portland for a job opportunity in Utah. Oh, do I miss Portland! But I think it's good to challenge ourselves and try living outside the utopian cocoon. And it's a lot of fun now to visit Portland.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Change is good (or at least inevitable)

best of luck in your discernment... I'm in the same situation myself.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

To my anonymous Utah friend,

Greetings from the Utopian Cocoon that is Portland. What a perfect description of this wonderful kooky place.

Steph Youstra said...

I think way back when I first "met up" with you I sent you the young adult newsletter article I wrote about having to leave DC for Nowheresville Indiana. TOTAL culture shock, and still not always my dream location, but.... it's more than just what's out on the streets around you.

Good luck ... once again, I know where you're at.