11.28.2005

desperate nuns

It’s been a while since I’ve written about portrayals of nuns on tv. That’s of course for two reasons – a) I don’t watch that much tv and b) it’s rare to ever have a character who’s a Sister on tv.

Well, last night’s stupid television watching led me to Desperate Housewives. Last week this was the show that warned me of the dangers of blogging at work. This week it brought us … the “hot” nun. Sr. Mary Bernard works at the prison. She befriended one of the main character’s husbands (Gabrielle’s husband Carlos) while he was in jail and helped to get him paroled early. Good … right? But then we meet her and Gabrielle is jealous because while dressed modestly (a bit over the top modestly if you ask me), she was also very attractive. Gabrielle dubs her Sr. Mary Hot Pants.

Hmmmm …. I wasn’t sure what I felt about this. I especially wasn’t sure how I felt about it towards the end when it appears that, yes, Sr. Mary does in fact want to break up the couple. Not (we hope) because she has designs on Carlos, but because she thinks Gabrielle is bad for Carlos and turns him away from God.

Her line … “Some marriages were meant to be annulled.” Double hmmm….

I’ll probably try to tune in next week to see where this character goes. Like most characters on the show, I think she’ll continue to be a little over the top. But hopefully not too far over the top.

What’s next … “Desperate Nuns”?

2 comments:

Steph Youstra said...

My kids were asking me if I saw it last night .... now I suppose I'll have to watch it next week, yes? I mean, I'm all about dispelling nun-myths, but only to a degree ....

Anonymous said...

It's always nice, at least, to see young and/or attractive nuns on TV! That's where television's youth-and-beauty-only policy pays off.