12.18.2005

on mary

My grandmother and mother both had great devotion to Mary. A devotion to be honest that I never quite got. Over the years, however, she has grown on me. Spiritual friend. Mother of God. Mother of us all. Giver of love and compassion. That image of her at the foot of the cross was very present to me when my own mother was suffering and dying from cancer.

These days though Mary speaks differently to me. On this 4th Sunday of Advent I find myself amazed at her strength, courage, prayerfulness and faith. Today’s Gospel passage reminds us that Mary knew everything would be ok. No reason to be afraid. Nothing is impossible for God. And so she answered yes, a yes that would eventually lead her to the foot of that cross. (On an oddly related note, Mark Mossa’s got a great post on Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

After reading today’s Gospel, I decided to look for the passage in the our community’s Constitutions that I remembered spoke of Mary:

"Mary is our model of faith
because she listened, she pondered,
and contemplated the word of God in her life,
and witnessed to it in action.
Her example calls us
to be receptive to God’s word
and to act upon it.
Her Magnificat strengthens our resolve
to work for justice."
(CSJP Constitutions 35

Such beautiful words. To listen. To ponder. To contemplate. To act.

No comments: