1.26.2006

a super sister

Last night I finished writing my article on one of our "retired" Sisters – the one I visited in Canada last Friday. Such an amazing woman. I want to share with you a list of SOME of the things she does:

eucharistic minister
visits the sick and homebound and "elderly"
presides at eucharistic services and funeral vigils
hosts bible studies in her own home – every day except Friday
facilitates bible study on Monday
leads a weekly Taize holy hour
prepares students for confirmation
makes crafts to sell at the parish bazaar – nice stuff you'd actually want to buy
bakes, bakes and bakes some more
ministers at the local prison bakes cookies and cakes for the prisoners
is part of a community support group for sex offenders when they are released
created a community garden in her back yard
held a dinner to raise almost $4,000 for the local catholic high school
did I mention she bakes?

And the kicker???? She's 85. And spunky, full of energy and life. Almost 70 years as a Sister of St Joseph of Peace. Amazing and inspiring. No wonder they wanted an article written about her for our Congregation magazine. I am humbled and blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story. I love stories about individual religious that otherwise you would never hear about. Merton and M.Theresa of Calcutta are fine but larger than life sometimes. This story and others bring everything to a proportion you can admire but also aspire to. Thank you

Talmida said...

I get a huge kick out of seeing how busy some elderly sisters are. They just don't ever sit down. Their whole lives are dedicated to sharing God's love. I know one kind of like your sister -- not quite as old, and bit more infirm, but keeps ministering wherever she can.

Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Susan -
Is the article going to be available online? I'd love to read it.