2.16.2006

serving

that we might serve you without fear

A few months ago I was chatting with some quite groovy sisters, moaning and groaning about my job. You know, the job that drains me. That is fraught with controversy and where I often work under a spotlight. Anyway, our conversation led me to mull over a certain question … is it just a "job," or what happens if I think of it as "ministry." Ministry doesn’t have to be an official church role, visiting the sick or planning liturgies. Ministry is serving God’s people, and Lord knows I certainly do that in my bureaucratic job. Lots of people! What happens if I approach it this way? Does it make a difference?

Well, turns out it makes a huge difference. It allows me to see God in the people I serve, the job I do, which makes it much more doable if not every once in a while enjoyable. This mental shift gave me an extra boost the past few weeks, which has been extremely helpful as I’ve entered my crazy busy season. Sometimes though I find myself shifting back to my mumbling grumbling everyone is annoying why do I have to be here mode. Which isn’t helpful, and dishonors what I’m meant to be doing now.

Which is where the line up above comes in. You may recognize it as being from the Canticle of Zechariah, said as part of the church’s morning prayers. This morning it reached me deep down in the fear and foreboding I had about the day ahead. You see, today will most likely be one of the most stressful days of my career. I’ve been working on adrenaline all week, but today I don’t think adrenaline will see me through. Hope will see me through. Remembering that I am in fact serving God’s people. And realizing that rather than wallowing in fear, I can call on my loving God to see me through.

As this particular prayer ends, I pray: Guide our feet into the way of peace.

Blessings on all our days. May we feel the presence of God in our work and in the people we meet along the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing your revelation, Susan.

Claire Joy said...

You certainly nailed it this time. What a gift you bring to those you're currently serving. They might expect it of a nun... but here you are a regular human being, treating them with a respect they most likely aren't used to...