5.15.2006

my italian godfather

I've been meaning to write a post about the passing of my Italian godfather. He was a political pal of my Dad's. The last time I saw him was at my Dad's retirement party when he apologized for being such an absent godfather.

When I was in DC over Easter there was a feature obituary about him in the
Washington Post. He passed away at the ripe age of 84. The picture that ran with the story was classic … he's standing in front of the County courthouse wearing a fedora-type hat, a wide tie and a wise guy type suit. The complete stereotype of the Italian godfather/political crony.

The obit paints a wonderful (and dare I say accurate) picture of this colorful character …

He charmed and alienated constituents, county employees and fellow politicos with a gregarious but earthy manner, flirted outrageously with women, made off-color jokes and promised "an eyeball-to-eyeball relationship" with all. …

He was forced out [as chairman of the local hospital board] after an internal memorandum questioned the propriety of a trip he and a female companion had taken to a Mexican medical school. [His] airfare was paid by a doctor-supported fund; he said he intended to pay it back but never got a bill. …

When [he] was elected in 1966, he compared [the] County to a woman, "and I love it very much," he said. "And I hope to develop it the same way." …

In retirement, serving as an usher at [his] Catholic Church, he would watch how much money churchgoers dropped in the basket, then shake it, knock them in the head with it and ask, "Is that all you're giving?" .
In an odd way, I'm quite proud to have him as my godfather. Certainly makes for a good story! Too bad I never got a chance to tell him his neglected goddaughter was becoming a Sister!

No comments: