6.16.2006

bureaucratic joy

I usually don't blog about work, but this tidbit from today is too good not to share.

One of my responsibilities is publishing and editing our City Code - the official collection of our municipal laws. About 8 years ago we started a project to modernize the code by removing outdated provisions and publishing it online. The only problem is, in order to remove an outdated provision someone needed to take ownership of it and introduce the law to repeal it. Silly but true. (Those of the School House Rock generation can think back to "I'm Just a Bill" about how an idea becomes a law.)

Well, the code is in much better shape these days. But there are still a few ancient sections that are worth a chuckle. For example, there is a whole chapter dedicated to Oyster Shucking facilities (we have none) and the proper method for shucking oysters. I've always joked that I'd feel like I'd accomplished the job God put me here to perform if I managed to get those oyster shucking provisions revoked.

Imagine my surprise and joy this afternoon when I started reviewing a housekeeping ordinance and saw …. that this section is being repealed!!!! My work here is done. All the rest is just gravy.

2 comments:

lorem ipsum said...

Your tax dollars at work! Congratulations!

Jocelyne said...

Now you can leave with a clear conscience and satisfaction at a job well done!