6.19.2006

fashion obsession

The blogger formerly known as Omis has unmasked himself as the future Jesuit novice Jason. He's also been struggling with if/how/when to share this news with his coworkers.

Even though my nun news was printed in a local weekly paper a few months ago, I still find myself telling at least one random acquaintance each & every day (people important to me, I told ages ago). Seriously - I find myself explaining my vocational path every day on the bus, on the phone, at the coffee shop, on the street corner. I've blogged about a few of the more memorable moments (and you can read them by clicking on the "Bean Spilling Chronicles" drop down menu in the side bar). But seriously, there are too many to count or write about.

One thing that has begun to just annoy me - and which I'm guessing I need to start getting used to - is the focus on one element of my future life as a woman religious. The # 1 question is not "how did you know God was calling you to be a Sister", or "what sort of ministry do you think you will do", or even "do people still do that", but rather different variations of the fashion question:

-Will you wear a habit?
-Will you wear a uniform?
-What will you wear?
-You won't be one of those pants wearing nuns will you? (yes … jeans even!)

Sometimes if I'm feeling generous I politely explain that my community is an active apostolic order and chooses to wear simple clothing like the people we work with (and that the traditional habits were once the simple dress of an earlier age). But the question persists, as do the strong opinions. I think it comes down to an odd mix of an American cultural obsession with the habited nun (after all you can buy nun salt & paper shakers and fire-breathing-nun-themed toys) with a desire to know who the nuns are by sight so they can be sure to be on their best behavior around them. And most of these folks are not Catholic, so maybe that's a factor too.

I'm not intending this post to turn into a comment free-for-all on the value of wearing simple dress versus habits. Different strokes for different folks. I think there are plus sides to both, depending on what ministry you are called to. Hence, no habit for me. I do intend to wear my community's peace cross. And I've started to come around to the idea of one day introducing myself as "Sister Susan" and being very open about my vocational status. I might even dress a little nicer at times! But I find it so odd that people are so obsessed with not the how/what/ why but the "What will you wear" question. How many jobs/life paths are there that the number one question is what you'll wear? It's especially odd considering how many other questions there are to ask!! I suppose another element of it could be that they are so mystified as to the what/why, they stick with what they understand (nun fashion).

So, it's a bit exhausting truth be told. But people have heard the "Susan's becoming a nun" rumors and they're curious. Or they've just heard that I'm leaving the City and ask why. And I want to be honest and truthful … I'm excited and proud of the path my life is taking. I also think it's good for people to know that it is possible to follow your heart, answer God's call, whatever that may be.

Maybe I'll write another post about a different phenomenon I've discovered … people wanting to share their spiritual stories/journeys with me. That and asking me random religion related questions. If I'm becoming a Sister, I must know … right?

But for now, off to my last Pax Christi meeting. I'm hoping to formally pass the coordinator baton tonight.

4 comments:

KingJaymz said...

I just had to respond to your post and profile. Few people have I met that even know about the "Clue" movie, but you list it as a favorite. Bravo on that. It was an excellent movie. I am also a really big "They Might Be Giants" fan. Kudos to you on good taste.

I'll ask a hopefully not stupid question. My wife and I currently live just across the river in Vancouver. We used to live in Beaverton in the apartments just across Murray Blvd from the big Cathedral there. I used to love listening to the bell ring. I didn't like living in those apartments, but I think back on listening to that bell ring, and it makes me desperate to hear it again. Is that the order you will belong to? I didn't have time to go back and read all of your posts to get the geographical location if it is in there, but I thought maybe this kind of a question would be more encouraging to you. Also, what is going to be the main thrust of your ministry? What other kinds of things will you do and be involved with there? How many other sisters belong to that order? Will they all be involved in that same kind of work?

Okay, one half stupid question (but hopefully I've asked enough intelligent ones to make up for it): does this order cover their hair/heads, and if so, what do they use for that covering?

Good luck and God's blessings as you seek to enter this ministry. I hope you find joy and peace as you do it.

Talmida said...

Susan, once again you bring to mind the words of my Sister-friend. She wears a plain blue suit with a short veil, and black patent leather shoes.

Why patent leather?
"It saves me 10 or 15 minutes a week shining my shoes -- time I can spend serving the Lord."

I had never thought of a sister's clothing choices in those terms before -- to simplify dressing so that it never took time away from the work she was called to do.

Cool stuff!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

KJ - the Sisters you're remembering are probably the Sisters of St Mary of Oregon. They run Valley Catholic high school among other things. The SSMO's are great women who do good work. I believe most of them also wear either a habit or modified habit.

I am joining a community based in the Seattle area … the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace. While a few of our older Sisters still choose to wear a modified habit, the rest simply wear what they feel is comfortable and simple just like normal folk on a tight budget. No head covering.

As to what sort of ministry, the main charism of the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace is pursing social justice as a path to peace. Different sisters pursue this in different ways - some in education or nursing, some in spiritual direction or parish ministry, some in direct service and others in advocacy. But for all the goal is to help spread Gospel justice and help bring about God's reign of peace on earth for all people.

As a novice, I will not be involved in active ministry. Instead these two years will be a special time of prayer, study and reflection (with some ministry) to help me further discern this call to religious life and what ministry I am being called to. At this point, I feel called to a combination of direct service/non profit administration and justice advocacy. But who knows. Prison ministry and chaplaincy are also things that I've thought about at various times. I just need to trust that prayer and an openness to the Spirit will sort all that out.

Anonymous said...

It all sounds fascinating Susan.