6.02.2006

groovy jubilarians


bb2006Jubilarians
Originally uploaded by
susanrose.

Sr. Susan (my web development "student") has taken what little knowledge I gave her and run with it. There's always something new on the groovy sister website! Right now she's got personal stories about our different groovy Jubilarians.

These nine women have done some amazing things in their collective 530 years of religious life!!

Sr. Johanna was once CCD Supervisor for the Diocese of Fairbanks …
Sr. Agnes "retired" in 2004 but is of course still teaching at the same school as a substitute teacher …
Sr. Ellen spent 33 years (as long as I've been alive) working at St Joseph's Hospital in Bellingham …
Sr. Eleanor was arrested twice while a nurse in El Salvador during the Civil War ...
Sr. Emilia (who I've written about before) is apparently famous for her donuts …
Sr. Ida Mary is an accomplished pianist (and was my friend Tom's piano teacher) …
Sr. Eileen was pressed into service a Novice Mistress shortly after being a novice herself …
Sr. Breda (who entered religious life in our community but has since transferred to a Carmelite community in Ireland although she's still an associate of our community) was a missionary in Cameroon and Nigera …
and Sr. Kathleen (one of my groovy weekend housemates who I know to be a kind soul and excellent cook) once directed the County Drug Abuse program and is a past-president of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.

Like I said, amazing things. And this is just a sampling! Thanks be to God for their loving service. I can only hope to grow into religious life in such a groovy fashion. I certainly have some wonderful role models.

2 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

What a beautiful picture and story. Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the plug, Susan! It's all because I have such a superb tutor - your lessons in the fine art of cutting and pasting came in very handy here!