7.24.2006

pray for peace

I received this prayer in an e-mail from the groovy sister Congregation Office. If you like me feel helpless with the world falling apart around us, perhaps you would like to join me in praying for peace at this crucial time.

Peace

God of Solidarity,
We mourn the deaths of over 300 of our sisters and
brothers in Lebanon, and the displacement of over
500,000. Give us the ability to feel compassion.

God of the Poor and Vulnerable,
You call us to stand for the weak and for those who
cannot protect themselves. Help us to stand for the
poor and the vulnerable by refusing to stand for
continued death, destruction, and devastation.

God who gave each person Human Dignity,
You desire that each person can live a dignified life, one
in which basic needs are fulfilled. Because of the war,
people are left without housing, without sanitation or
electricity. Roads, transportation systems, and the
ability to make a daily living are now destroyed for many.

God of Peace,
We pray for a true resolution to the conflict between
Israel and Lebanon. The roots of the conflict are deep
and much difficult dialogue will be needed. We realize
that both sides share the guilt for needless destruction
and suffering. Bring peace, O God.

God who gives each of us both rights and
responsibilities,
Help us to guarantee the rights of those who suffer by
reminding our leaders of their responsibilities toward the
common good. Call all involved to dialogue. Let peace
come. Amen.

by Jill Rauch, Education for Justice

3 comments:

Talmida said...

I hope the Congregation Office has another prayer that mourns the deaths and kidnappings and displacement of our sisters and brothers in Israel.

I'm trying to pray for both sides.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Talmida,

I hope it goes without saying that when I say I am praying for peace, that includes praying for "both sides."

I don't think God takes sides, unless perhaps the side of the poor and vulnerable. At the moment though, the impact of the war is being felt hardest by the civilians in Lebanon, where a huge proportion of the population has been displaced and their infrastructure destroyed.

By the way (and for the record), the e-mail from the congregation office made it clear that all sides bear responsibility and that we must pray for everyone impacted by the war. But as my heart at the moment is being broken by the widespread destruction of the lives and livelihood in Lebanaon, I chose to highlight that prayer.

Peace my friend

Anonymous said...

Hi, Susan - I knew I'd seen a good prayer for peace in Lebanon, assumed it had been in an e-mail and couldn't find it, to my frustration. Then today I see that it was on your website - thanks!