7.25.2006

sorting and finding

Well folks, I write to you from the box filled locale that is my apartment of the past 11 years. I've been busy sorting and packing on my "working vacation." It has been nice to not even think about work. I can get used to that I think.

I sorted through the family photographs and mementos I brought from my family home when we sold it a while back. When my mom died, I promised her that I would continue her project of making memory books for my siblings when they turn 40. She'd gotten around to the first two, but she wouldn't be around for my brother, sister & me. I finished Michael's book last fall and I'm bringing the pictures and supplies with me to New Jersey to make Monica's book.

My 40th's is 6 years away, so I'll just be storing my things until closer to that date. I did find a news clipping from 34 years ago that I thought I'd share. It's my birth announcement and is archeological proof of the fight my siblings had about the "big room" and my being a girl instead of a boy!*

NEW ARRIVAL at the new Francois house is 10 pound 8 ounce Susan Rose, born Thursday, July 27. Frank & Eileen purchased a new house on Seabury Lane earlier in the month and apparently Susan decided to wait until most of the moving had been finished.

Joey, 10 and Michael, 6, were hoping the baby would be a boy so the three of them could have the big bedroom, however Marie, 9, and Monica, 3, are very happy about the room arrangements.
-
The Bowie Blade, August 3, 1972


* My sister Monica usually calls me on my birthday to celebrate the day the girls won and the boys had to move out of the big room. You see they were convinced I'd be a boy, as the prior birth pattern had been boy girl boy girl. The family had just moved into a new house right before I was born, and the boys had moved into the big room. I have always found it funny that my life started with this little feminist incident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were smart enough to get out of all the packing and moving back then! But there's no escaping it now...