8.25.2006

last call for pdx

Today is my last day in the Rose City/Stumptown/whatever you want to call Portland, Oregon. Since September 1990, with a few absences, I've called it home.

I first came here 16 years ago to go to Lewis & Clark College. (The picture was taken back in the early days by my brother ... I'm pointing to Portland). I had no idea at that point what I wanted to do with my life. All I knew was that this was the place where I'd figure it out. While I expected to have that answer 12 years ago when I graduated from college, it seems that I was in fact correct about this place. This is where I found hints and some answers to THE questions ...

How and why and when and where to go
How and why and when and where to follow

(quoting another song from the soundtrack of my life, "If You're Feeling Sinister" by Belle & Sebastian).

Twists and turns. Sorrows and joys. Rainy days and Mondays. Friends, work, church, ... life. It all helped me to figure out at least what the next step is. Which comes tomorrow, when I am Received as a Novice by the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace.

I imagine I won't check in again until some time on Sunday. Tomorrow will be busy with driving up to Seattle and then the Reception ceremony and festivities afterwards.

Cheers!

3 comments:

The Ironic Catholic said...

(Standing up clapping)

Anonymous said...

I wish we could be there with you tomorrow. Too much happening at the same time. I'm going to resolve to check in with your blog on a more regular basis, thus keeping up with your musings, and continuing to get strength from you. Hope you are having a great weekend by the time you read this!
Susie

Anonymous said...

Hey, I took that photo! Its a scan of a polaroid I still have in my photobox. At the time it was taken, I lived on Chase Street in Baltimore, and had a large world map as wallpaper. From the wayback machine!

Michael