8.01.2006

postcard from my living room

I'm making good progress on project sort/purge/pack. As someone who feels like she's been living a fairly simple lifestyle however, I am mystified at how I ended up with so much stuff!

Yesterday I tackled my craft closet. Today I tackled my scary scary hall closet. There were layers of things in there, including a Strawberry Shortcake Doll I intended to give my now 9 year old niece when she was 5, some long lost photographs and a Japanese Language flashcard set. I have no idea where that last one came from.

I've also been getting misdirected phone calls of people hoping to order seafood ... my number is one digit off of a major seafood distributer. That's something I won't miss.

I ran into my neighbors while I was taking out loads of trash. I mentioned that I was moving. They asked where. I said New Jersey. They asked why. I told them. He was absolutely flabbergasted. "Why would you leave your good government job to do that?" he asked. "Because it's what I'm meant to do," was the only answer I could come up with in the afternoon sun.

Tomorrow I can start taking my rummage to the church hall. It will be good to get some of it out of my house. I've got 10 boxes to donate sitting in my living room from the past few days, not to mention as many boxes in my storage space from my sorting vacation last year.

I've got to start getting more serious (less movie breaks and lunch with friends, more sorting and packing) as I've got 3 days left of my purgin/packing vacation. But for now I think a nap is in order!!

No comments: