8.03.2006

random summer evening ramblings

I just spent a very enjoyable evening with two very good friends. About half way through it hit me … they will always be my friends, but it will not be like this ever again.

Perhaps one of the hardest parts about this amazing vocation journey I find myself on is leaving my life here in Portland. Chances are I will probably return to the Pacific Northwest at some point after Novitiate, but chances are very slim that I will return to Portland. The groovy sisters have never had a presence here. Seattle yes. Portland no.

But at the same time, I know that this is not where I’m being called to be. My friends are on different paths …. focusing on their families or the joys of home ownership. I’m being called to something different. I know that. They know that. But it’s still tough.

I’ve been so focused on the things I have to cross off my to do list, I don’t think I’ve been giving adequate attention to the deeper things.

Hmmmm ….. nobody every said following that Jesus guy would be easy. The paradox is that while it’s somewhat complicated and completely counter-cultural, it also feels so right.

No comments: