8.21.2006

weekend update

Where to start. It’s been a good weekend, but a busy one and a bit of an emotional roller coaster as well. These days leading up to the Novitiate are interesting to navigate.

I am safely ensconced in my good friend Jackie’s house … which is also home to a menagerie of animals. Right now Sadie the dog is out with her human for an evening stroll. I’ll be staying here till I head to Seattle on Saturday for my reception as a Novice.

Saturday I dropped Jason off at the Jesuit Novitiate. I got a tour of his new digs and met some of the novices and the novice master. He was happy and at peace when I left. The experience brought home my impending reality though!! Soon that will be me …

I worked a few shifts at the rummage sale Sat & Sun and saw many of my belongings go to new homes. One of the girls I used to teach in Sunday School took home my bowling trophy from fourth grade! She liked that it was shiny.

I had fun telling the people who picked up my bed, tv, desk from my ad on craigs list that I was leaving to become a Sister … they were pretty darn shocked!

Tonight was my last mass at my parish. There was a nice blessing for me as I move on to the next step in my journey at the end of mass. It was emotional, but helps me gain some closure on what has been an amazing parish experience. The not-so-young remnants of our young adult group went out afterwards for pizza and a beer. Good people.

This week I’m finishing closing up house, selling my car, canceling utilities, and saying good bye to people. One thing I don’t have to do is go to work since I quit my J.O.B. Yeah me!! I realized today I won’t have to go to work in the traditional sense for the next year! I’ll be busy and doing other types of work, but it will be good to have a rest from the daily grind.

That’s the update for now … I’m sure I’ll check in later. Especially since Jackie’s house has Wi-Fi!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for continuing to share these days. I was wondering how you were doing. "Savor them" is the thought that came to mind as I read today's post. "Savoring" is a concept a friend many years ago expressed about novitiate in general. "Savor the experience!"

Anonymous said...

I'm following your last week or so of posts with avid interest. I'm jealous (but glad) you got to meet and be a support to Jason on his big day. Cool. You are in my prayers. I look forward to continuing to read about this incredible journey.
Peace

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Will you be able to continue to blog during your novitiate? I so enjoy virutally taking this journey with you, I hope you can!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Melissa,

As far as I know, the answer is yes. A few months ago I asked my formation director who asked the novice director who said yes.

I would imagine however that I may write less frequently. And I'm thinking of taking a few weeks off from blogging when I enter the novitiate to let it all sink in. But we'll see!