8.21.2006

lessons in simplifying

Today I moved the rest of my worldly possessions from my apartment to my friend’s basement where they will live during my Novitiate. As a result of the great purge & pack project, I took 12 carloads of rummage to my parish rummage sale. Today I moved 2 carloads of stuff to my friend’s basement. A great paring down, but still too much stuff. Or so I thought after lugging it out of my house, into my car, over to her house, up her steps, through her house, and down the steps to the basement. Uggh…. I had some help with the bigger items, but most of the smaller stuff I did myself. About half way through I thought … do I really need this stuff? The thing is, much of it is family stuff from when my mom died and we sold the family house. Family pictures, some of my grandmother’s dishes, etc … Plus my own life mementos … yearbooks, books, etc… Perhaps when the time comes to move it again, I will be moved to simplify even more by sheer laziness!!!

Tomorrow I’m having lunch and dinner with some friends.
In between my plan is to clean my now empty apartment.

Tomorrow is also my 2 year groovy sister anniversary … I went to my first vocation retreat with the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace on August 22, 2004.
And felt at home immediately, although I spent the next 3 months pretending that I wasn’t sure. And just think, in 4 short days I will be received as a Novice!!! Amazing.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

There's nothing like moving to make one take a long hard think about how much stuff we accumulate. I'm always amazed when I move just how much stuff I have. Definitely made me feel "rich" in the big scheme of things.

Congrats on your two year anniversary! Congrats on moving and beginning your novitiate. Many many blessings to you!