2.13.2007

thanks for all the fish

Your Animal Personality
Your Power Animal: Eagle
Animal You Were in a Past Life: Whale
You are active, a challenger, and optimistic.
Hard-working, you are always working towards a set goal.

My question: is this a portrait of me as a whale (eating all the little fish) in my past life?

I like to think, or rather wish, that I were a kind gentle soul, and in many ways I am. I've had more than one person tell me, however, that I can sometimes come across as intimidating or as a "powerful personality," which is really a nice way to say intimidating. Kind of like the whale eating all the little fish.

Part of me wants to be the bunny rabbit that everyone loves and wants to cuddle. At the same timeI know that while the world needs bunny rabits, the world also needs "active yet optimistic challengers," and these souls will sometimes be misunderstood.

Perhaps I need to come to grips with the fact I am not a bunny rabbit, and I will never be a bunny rabbit. God knows and loves me, even the parts of me I don't like and try to hide. Now, don't think that I don't know that God is calling on me to grow and stretch and develop those underdeveloped bunny like parts of me. I am in the Novitiate after all, where being stretched is the name of the game. But I think God is also challenging me to know and accept who I am.

Which leads me to a silly yet profound song I discovered the other day by Half Handed Cloud (a group I found by way of the Bored Again Christian podcasts). It's called We're Very Greatly Loved and goes like this (to a very catchy tune):
Not that I know,
But that I'm known,
You told me I'm yours and now you're making me your own,
And it's a gift
Because you lifted me out of the past

I tried to honor
What you commanded with my labor,
But now I haven't just been told
I have been loved.
Happy Valentine's Day!

(You can download the song for free here)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the plug, Susan!

~pen~ said...

SusanRose, we are truly sisters as last night, I posted a YouTube video of Anathallo, who I found by way of justPete (love that guy!!)

Are you familiar with them? They remind me of Sufjan (who I love, my heart truly does belong to him, still) but rowdier :)

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day :)