9.23.2007

I must look like I know where I'm going

Just an observation from my first week in London: I must look like I know where I'm going, because I'm always being asked for directions. This happened three times this evening (and two out of the three times I actually was able to give directions!). It's also happened almost every day I've been out and about here, usually more than once each day.

This isn't really a new phenomenon. I remember walking in my brother's neighborhood in the Hague, Netherlands a few years ago and someone stopped and asked me directions. Of course they asked them in Dutch, so I was completely stumped!

I think there is something to the fact that I try to look where I'm going. My mom taught me that trick years ago as a safety measure, and it was reiterated when I took a women's self defense class. The only trick is if you look too much like you know where you're going then you are asked for directions and you cover is blown!

No comments: