2.21.2008

church bells

Someone asked me if the noise of the city was getting to me. Well, my first few days here (when I didn't have to go anywhere and was able to sleep in, ie before I started work) the only noise that was bothering me was .....

the church bells.

We live right across the street from a Catholic Church, which is awfully convenient when it comes to going to mass. But when you're trying to sleep in and the bells go off at 7, and again before 8, it can be rather annoying.

Of course now that I'm a working woman again, I'm up BEFORE the church bells. They're kind of nice actually when you're not cursing at them.

I'm off to day two at Ministry #2 (Catholic Charities). All went well yesterday, hope it continues so today.

Ciao for now.
Susan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are doing well in your new setting. I can sympatize with the church bells. When I lived in Rome, there were several churches on each block none of whom were on the same clock so the ringing of the angelus would go on for about a half an hour. So thank God you only have one to contend with!
Terry

Anonymous said...

Lived across from a church once. After a very late night and wanting to sleep in because of terrible headache, all of a sudden heard what sounded like a drum roll. Sure enough it was the K of C in procession. If the bells don't get you the K of C will.

Discerner from Down Under said...

I really like the sound of church bells. :) Maybe that's because I only ever hear them ringing from the city churches in Melbourne, so it's an uncommon sound and a special one at that? ;)

None of the country, nor many (if any) of the suburban, churches seem to ring their bells these days - well, in Victoria, anyway. So sad. :( Having said that, I have never lived near a church, so I guess it would get annoying after a while...

All the best with your new ministry. :)

Em -xxx-

Lisa said...

I don't think it's just any Church bells, but those particular Church bells have a unique resonance. Up close as you are, Susan, I can only imagine how much more they resound. Yet, on a symbolic level, in the midst of the daily challenges of every day life, still I guess they pierce the darkness and ring out the ever present and persistent hope of God...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Blog :) thankyou may God use all you write to bless many people ;)