4.17.2008

the grip

I was reminded this morning of the day over a year and a half ago when I sold my car:
But today was the big symbolic moment … I sold my car. Yes, I handed the keys of my vehicular freedom to another human being and at that moment, I realized what it meant. I was finally free to follow that Jesus guy.

I must say, that blog post is worth a read all these months later. It brings me back to the fullness of that particular moment - especially as I prepare for vows this fall.

So, what reminded me of that day??? Well, this morning on my way to work I decided to make a detour when I got off the bus and treat myself to a cup of coffee from the Dunkin Donuts across the street. As I was walking out the door of said DD, I saw a black Honda Civic LX sitting in the parking lot. And for just a moment, my heart leapt.

I have everything I need. I have use of a car whenever I need. And yet, there was that little leap at the glimpse of "my car," even though my car is now being driven by a 20-something nephew of one of our sisters 3,000 miles away.

It's amazing what a grip material things can have on us ...

1 comment:

Garpu said...

Heh. I keep a bag of coffee from Dunks because it reminds me of the Hoopy Frood. Yeah I'm in Seattle drinking Dunks. How's that for irony? ;)