5.14.2008

our extraterrestrial brothers and sisters

Both my brother and bloggy friend Garpu pointed out this tidbit:
Believing that the universe may contain alien life does not contradict a faith in God, the Vatican's chief astronomer said in an interview published Tuesday.

The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, was quoted as saying the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.

"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said. "Just as we consider earthly creatures as 'a brother,' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'? It would still be part of creation."

I was reminded of the time my 4 & 5 year old Sunday School class devolved into a discussion of space aliens.

... another little boy told me that his dad believed in Aliens. The class was heavy on the boys, and so conversation took a GIANT detour into the realm of the space alien, whether they existed, and if so if God loved them too. Heavy science fiction theology for the age group. I was struggling with trying to figure out how to get us back to planet earth and human beings - since I knew for sure both of those existed. It was tough going. As they say, resistance is futile. And of course, this is just when my pastor walked into the room. He looked at me, smirked and raised an eyebrow, and headed out the back door. He was just using our room as a shortcut.
I wish I'd had this bit of theology to impart. Hopefully the little boy who brought up the topic (who is probably 14 or 15 by now) reads this story!

By the way, did you know that the UN has an office for Outer Space Affairs?

1 comment:

Garpu said...

Not a sparrow falls, eh? These are the times that I really love being Catholic, because our faith allows for a God, who loves all of Creation, even the little green aliens, Time Lords, and tribbles. :)