5.15.2008

Moving On

Today was my last of ministry at Catholic Charities. Tonight is my last night in Jersey City. I honestly cannot believe how quickly the time has flown!

One thing is for sure ... I'm a bit tired of moving. You see, for the first 18 years of my life I lived in the same house. I then moved a bit during my college years, and then lived in the same apartment for 11 years. Moving around is not my natural state of being. For one thing, I HATE sorting through things, packing and lugging them around. (Note to self: what better reason to spend more time simplifying this summer so next time there's less to move!). But I think there's also something I've always liked about being settled in one place.

Then I entered a religious community! An apostolic religious community at that. During my year of candidacy I drove four hours from Portland to Seattle to live in community every other weekend. Then I was sent 3,000 miles away to Englewood Cliffs, NJ for my canonical novitiate year. Last Fall I flew another 3,000 miles to London for my first ministry experience. Then back to Englewood Cliffs for a month and a half at the Novitiate House. Then 45 minutes south to Jersey City for my second ministry experience. Now back to the Novitiate House for the summer and then back to Seattle for (hopefully) a more extended time as I begin full time ministry in the Fall. Whew!

But you know what .... a funny thing has happened. I still don't particularly like moving around, but I'm also realizing that home is more centered in the heart than in the place. When it comes right down to it, I have felt at home in Seattle and Englewood and London and now Jersey City. I was musing about this in an e-mail to one of my wise friends today ...
It's always hard to leave someplace that feels like home - whether its Portland or London or now Jersey City. But its also good to know that I can feel at home in such different environments! That's been one major area of growth/change during this novitiate time. I've found a freedom and at home-ness in the community and in God that isn't necessarily tied to one place. Of course I'm also thrilled to be returning to the Northwest in the near-ish future. But over my lifetime, I have a feeling I'll probably spend some time in all 3 of our regions. That's a good thing to know as I begin more serious vows discernment in the coming weeks.
Well, I should sign off here. Aside from my task of packing, we're also having a goodbye pizza party (or maybe I should say see you later party) with the Sisters next door. I'm going to be away from the computer for a few days. When I leave here tomorrow and before I head back to the Novitiate Monday, I'm going to be spending the weekend with my brother's family. My niece is being confirmed on Sunday, and she asked me to be her confirmation sponsor!!! It was so nice to be asked, and even nicer that the community is letting me be away for a few days so I can be there in person on the big day.

So, bye for now! Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Where does the time go? I hope that these final weeks of novitiate are days which you can savor as you prepare to enter more deeply into the mystery of consecrated life through your first profession of vows.