7.13.2008

Am I grown up yet?

You Should Be a Teacher



You are patient, optimistic, and good at explaining things.

You work well with all types of people, and you are a good role model.

Success and positive outcomes are extremely important to you.

You are both a good leader and instructor. People look up to and depend on you.

You do best when you:

- Can see the results of your work
- Are able to teach someone a new skill

You would also be a good nurse or non fiction writer.


The title of this quiz is ... "What Should You Be When You Grow Up?". When is that exactly? :)

Seriously though, sometimes when people find out I'm in the novitiate they ask me if I want to become a teacher. This makes sense I guess, as women religious in this country have traditionally been teachers. And, if I'd been born a few decades earlier and God had managed to help me realize I had a religious vocation, I probably would have become a teacher. It would be a better option for me than nurse!

However, I do not feel called to be a teacher in the traditional sense. And, as it turns out, while some of our Sisters are teachers and nurses, there are lots of other options as well! In fact, I recently found out that I have been offered a ministry position starting in September. I'll be doing justice education and advocacy work with a justice and peace resource center in Seattle. I think it is a good fit for my skills and will be a wonderful opportunity. In a way, I suppose I will be a teacher, helping people learn more about our Church's social teaching.

I do have to say that one of my favorite parts about my ministry in London was teaching the clients how to use computers at the homeless day center. There was something simply amazing about helping someone learn how to do something new, especially something that was going to help them in life.

Those are my random Sunday night thoughts!

3 comments:

Katney said...

I should be a doctor when I gorw up. But since I am 62 and just retired--from teaching--I think I will pass.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your position! I am a reader from Seattle, and would love to meet you sometime after you are settled here.

Dr. Mooney said...

When I finished college (and student teaching to boot) in 1973, I vowed never to teach again! When religious life left me a few years later, I went right on to teaching "for a little while" until I got my Masters in Music. I'm finishing my 33rd year in MS/HS education, and as retirement looms its ugly head, I can't think of anything I would WANT to do! I've always enjoyed your blog, even as a former religious (CSC, Notre Dame). I treasure my time with them, and am glad for all the good things, as well as the bad. G-d bless you on your journey, and keep writing your most interesting blog.