7.23.2008

Chapter

We're all busy getting ready for our Congregation General Chapter which starts this weekend. We're going to be away for 2 weeks, so there's the logistics not only of packing but stopping the newspaper and eating the perishable contents of one's fridge. I'm also trying to work through my giant to do list since I've only got a week between Chapter and my vacation and retreat.

What's a Chapter you ask??? Well, let me quote our Congregation Leader Sr. Sheila from her letter convoking the Chapter:
Because of the wisdom of our foremothers we come together every six years. Our Constitutions describe the Congregation Chapter as the highest decision-making body in the Congregation. They remind us that we gather for several reasons: we gather to witness to our unity; we gather to renew our life and spirit; we gather to reflect together on the call of the gospel and because of that prayerful reflection, we gather to make decisions in fidelity to our charism.
Every 6 years, our Congregation gathers in one place to decide our direction for the next 6 years. Normally, we also elect our Congregation Leadership. We have voting delegates from each province, but everyone is encouraged and invited to attend. There will be over 150 of us gathered from our three provinces in the UK, the East Coast and the West Coast of the US! I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my friends from across the Congregation - including those I lived with in London last Fall. I'm thinking of it like a convention/homecoming.

This will of course be my first Chapter. I've studied the documents from our past Chapters and heard so many of the stories, but I think it's something you just have to experience. I'll share some of my impressions here over the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, I invite you to join with my groovy sisters in praying our Chapter Prayer:

Spirit of God,
you breathed over the waters
and gave light, life and beauty to the earth,
breathe on us now,
drawing us forward to the crossing place,
moving us in hope and trust to that place
where we will encounter you in our Congregation Chapter.
Come with your spirit of wisdom, love and unity;
come with strength and vigour,
with lightness, courage and faith.
Inflame our hearts, enlighten our minds
that our actions, words and decisions
may glorify you and serve your people
with justice and in peace. We ask this in Jesus' name.
Amen.

1 comment:

Kelly_SSJ said...

prayers are with you all as you prepare for chapter! May God's spirit guide you well! :)