8.10.2008

Peacemakers: Franz Jägerstätter

One of the major decisions of our Congregation Chapter was to commit ourselves to grow more deeply toward a non-violent way of being and acting as peacemakers. One aspect of this commitment is to study the history and people of non-violence.

Yesterday was the Feast Day of Blessed Franz Jägerstätter. I must admit that until last fall (when I was working at Pax Christi in the UK), I was not very familiar with his story.


Franz Jägerstätter was executed on August 9, 1943 at Brandenburg Prison for his conscientious objection to serving in Hitler's army.

“My dearest, beloved wife, and all my children,” he wrote on the morning of his execution, “Many actually believe quite simply that things have to be the way they are. If this should happen to mean that they are obliged to commit injustice then they believe that others are responsible... For this reason I am convinced that it is still best that I speak the truth even if it costs my life... These few words are being set down here as they come from my mind and heart. And if I must write them with my hands in chains, I find that much better than if my will were in chains.”
Franz Jägerstätter was declared "Blessed" by the Catholic Church on October 26, 2007 during a ceremony in Linz, Austria. His wife Franziska was present at the Beatification.

Learn more about him here, here and here.

No comments: