10.06.2008

A Super Sister

A few years ago I was privelged to interview one of our senior Sisters -- Sr. Emilia -- for our community magazine. I also wrote about her on the blog. Sr. Emilia passed away last Friday. We will be saying goodbye to her with a wake tomorrow and funeral Wednesday. We will miss her ... I will miss her. I thought I'd repost my original post about her from January 2006:

Last night I finished writing my article on one of our "retired" Sisters – the one I visited in Canada last Friday. Such an amazing woman. I want to share with you a list of SOME of the things she does:

eucharistic minister
visits the sick and homebound and "elderly"
presides at eucharistic services and funeral vigils
hosts bible studies in her own home – every day except Friday
facilitates bible study on Monday
leads a weekly Taize holy hour
prepares students for confirmation
makes crafts to sell at the parish bazaar – nice stuff you'd actually want to buy
bakes, bakes and bakes some more
ministers at the local prison bakes cookies and cakes for the prisoners
is part of a community support group for sex offenders when they are released
created a community garden in her back yard
held a dinner to raise almost $4,000 for the local catholic high school
did I mention she bakes?

And the kicker???? She's 85. And spunky, full of energy and life. Almost 70 years as a Sister of St Joseph of Peace. Amazing and inspiring. No wonder they wanted an article written about her for our Congregation magazine. I am humbled and blessed.

Goodbye Emilia. I am so glad to have the opportunity to get to know you. You were a wonderful model for me.

1 comment:

Garpu said...

Wow...she sounded like a wonderful woman.