12.04.2008

Question & Answer

Last month I shared the story of my graduating from an all-boy's high school - DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland. They form "Gentlemen & Scholars," and one nun, although I suppose I fit the scholar category as well.

Anyway, I was interviewed by their alumni director for the weekly alumni e-mail. I've received lots of visits today from the DC area in fact ... if you're coming via the e-mail, welcome fellow Stags! (How many nuns can say that?)

For those of you not coming via that e-mail, I thought you might be interested in the interview so I'll paste it below. I haven't updated my FAQ's in a LONG time - even though I've been encouraged/reminded to do so. This doesn't get at all the questions folks have about my wonderful crazy journey, but it does include some so I'll post it here.

In 1990, 21 female students graduated from DeMatha Catholic High School. The students came to DeMatha after Regina HS in nearby Adelphi, MD shut down the year before and then Principal John Moylan allowed the 21 would-be seniors to attend DeMatha in a one-time-only deal. Susan Francois '90, sister of Mike '83, and the daughter of a former prominent Prince George's County politician (Francis), was one of those students. Susan is now studying to be a nun, which means she stands to become the first (and probably the only) nun among our alumni.

Trying to reach Susan for a phone interview was not easy so she consented to an e-mail Q & A. Here is that interview:

T: What is the name of your Order? Where are you located? What is the Order known for (specialty)?
S: Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. We are located in the Pacific Northwest, New Jersey and the United Kingdom. Our founding spirit calls us to work for peace through social justice. Our ministries are varied - healthcare, education, social work, parish ministry, retreat work and spiritual direction, political advocacy, and ministry with the poor and marginalized.

T: Where are you in the process?
S: I made my first profession of vows on October 11, 2008. I hope to make my final profession in three years. I am currently ministering at the Intercommunity Peace & Justice Center in Seattle, which is a collaborative venture of 16 religious communities to promote just structures in our Church and world.

T: What led you to this path?
S: I realized that my volunteer work--for peace & justice through my local parish-- was more fulfilling than my day job with the City. This led me to follow my passion to work for peace and justice through the Church.

T: Has it been difficult?
S: While there have been challenges, I have felt a sense of peace and rightness at each step of the journey! My family and friends have also been very supportive.

T: What did you do before this?
S: I was City Elections Officer for the City of Portland, Oregon for eight years. In my "spare time" I was co-chair of my parish peace & justice commission and coordinator of my local chapter of Pax Christi (the National Catholic Peace Movement).

T: What do people do when you tell them you graduated from DeMatha?
S: Since I live on the west coast, sometimes people are not familiar with the name. But if they are, they always do a double-take and look confused until I explain that Regina closed and 21 of us spent our senior year at DeMatha.

T: Did your time at DeMatha benefit you in any way? If yes, how so?
S: My time at DeMatha was very beneficial. I think I learned how to think and question in a faithful way -- especially through my classes with Dr. Dan McMahon and Fr. Tom Burke.

T: How many siblings? What is Mike doing now and where?
S: I'm the youngest of five. My brother Michael - DeMatha class of 83 -- is living in Orange County California with his wife Carina. Michael is Vice President of Network Planning at MegaPath, Inc.

T: What is the website for your Order?
S: http://www.csjp.org .

T: Your blog?
S. http://www.actjustly.blogspot.com.. I've been sharing my journey into religious life on my blog for the past four years now.

T: Where do you go to College?
S: I graduated in 1994 with a BA in Political Science from Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon.

T: Can the world be saved? What is it you hope to accomplish with your vocation?
S: I believe that the saving power of God is present among us. There is such good in the world, if only we could focus our energies and attention on the good rather than the bad. By following Jesus Christ through my vocation, I am saying yes to participating in any small way I can to bringing God's reign of justice and peace here, today.

We thank Susan for her time and wish her well on her journey. We will be following her along the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a couple of emails related to this, too! Hope all is good in Seattle.