1.01.2009

Pray for Peace in 2009

Today is the first day of 2009. It is also the World Day of Peace. Paul VI declared the first World Day of Peace in 1968 by proclaiming a message of peace on that Day. Pope Benedict XVI has continued this tradition - read his 2009 Message "Fighting Poverty to Build Peace." Here are a few excerpts from his message:
“Poverty is often a contributory factor or a compounding element in conflicts, including armed ones. In turn, these conflicts fuel further tragic situations of poverty”

"Effective means to redress the marginalization of the world's poor through globalization will only be found if people everywhere feel personally outraged by the injustices in the world and by the concomitant violations of human rights."
My only wish is that the title of the Peace message used more non-violent language itself, but I suppose I'm especially sensitive to that these days!

If you want to learn more about global poverty and what YOU can do, visit the "Catholic Campaign Against Global Poverty" website. Please join me in beginning the new year for praying for peace.

God of all peoples, help us to grow in our understanding that we are all your children and thus, one human family. Make our own the concerns of our brothers and sisters suffering from dire poverty around the globe. Help us to realize that war anywhere is injustice everywhere. Give us the strength to build a world of peace and justice for all. We pray as always in Jesus' name. Amen.

2 comments:

Ave said...

I don't understand what "violent" language you are referring to. Can you explain what you mean?

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

"Fighting Poverty"

I have been paying attention to my own unconscious use of violent language. Our every day language is full of it and we don't even realize it!

Since I've been paying attention, I've started realize how violence my own language is - for example using phrases like "kill two birds with one stone" or "hit the bull's eye" or even formatting my word processing documents using "bullets." It's everywhere. I think it's both reflective of the violence in our society and part of the cause.

I've also been noticing violent language from other people. I thought that it was somewhat ironic that the first word in the "Peace" message was "Fighting."

It's like a "War on Terror" - just doesn't seem to make much sense to me.


At our Congregation Chapter this past summer, my groovy sisters committed to growing in nonviolence. Maybe I'll start excerpting our Chapter Act on the blog.

Peace and thanks for the comment.
Susan