1.20.2009

The World has Changed

Apparently, President Obama's speech was written in part by a 27 year old speech writer in Starbucks. It wouldn't be the first thing written in a coffee shop. (Harry Potter anyone?)

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this bit...
To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds.

And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to the suffering outside our borders, nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.

Perhaps we're ready to admit that we're part of a global family that extends beyond our borders? There are definite echoes of Catholic Social Teaching there ... option for the poor, global solidarity, rights and responsibilities.

3 comments:

Garpu said...

I sure hope so...although Catholic social teaching has only been emphasized as one or two issues for the past 8 years. There really needs to be some teaching on *all* life issues, not just the most convenient or comfortable.

littlemissattitude said...

Thanks for the link.

Although I am not surprised that Favreau does so much writing in coffee shops.

When I was a student, my best friend and I (we went through university together) did a lot of our studying in restaurants, and I often take reading, research or writing to do when I eat alone.

I don't do Starbucks, though, because I don't drink coffee and can't stand the smell of it. My personal favorite place to do some concentrated reading and/or writing is my local Denny's. They know me there, and as long as they're not busy and I buy something, they don't mind how long I sit there.

As for Obama's inaugural speech...that was a work of beauty. My own favorite lines were, "...we have chosen hope over fear..." and "...we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals." And I stood up and cheered when he said, "We will restore science to its rightful place...".

Anonymous said...

Sorry my comment is late - I'm just catching up.
Mr. Obama's speech may have sounded good - but within days after his inauguration, he signed an executive order overturning the Mexico City Policy - which has stood since 1984 (with the exception of the Clinton years). In doing so, he is allowing United States taxpayer money to be used to fund organizations that promote and perform abortions in developing countries. That falls quite short of Catholic Social Teaching and global responsibility.