10.14.2010

Rooted and Grounded, all things are possible

When was taking the first serious steps towards religious life, I went on my first silent directed retreat. The trees really spoke to me that week. Big, strong, beautiful trees ... and trees that had seen much wear and tear.

I was also drawn to this passage from Ephesians, which happens to be part of today's first reading:

That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
that you, rooted and grounded in love,
may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones
what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge,
so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

In today's first reading, I was really struck by what comes next:

Now to him who is able to accomplish far more than all we ask or imagine,
by the power at work within us,
to him be glory in the Church and in Christ Jesus
to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

I was immediately reminded of a passage in our CSJP Constitutions: “As we live our vows each day we trust that Christ’s blessing promised to peacemakers will sustain us, knowing that God working in us will accomplish more than we can ask or imagine.” (62)

Somehow, I hadn't realized that these two passages were side by side in Paul's letter to the Ephesians. Rooted and grounded in God's love, we are able to realize the truth that God working in us will accomplish more than we can imagine. Rooted and grounded, all things are possible.

Good for me to remember these days. And good to have trees all around to remind me of this!

Peace

No comments: