9.08.2011

Five Years Ago Today

Five years ago today I entered the canonical novitiate.  It seems like far longer ago than that--all of the anticipation, excitement and wonder at taking that step on this journey.

There's still anticipation and excitement and wonder, but it's different.  For one thing, I know deep down in my heart of hearts that this is the path I'm called to, these are the women I'm called to journey with, and the charism and spirituality of peace as embodied in the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace helps me to be the me I'm meant to be and be a minister and witness to our broken world.

I think when I entered the novitiate five years ago, I thought my life would be more different than it is now.  One thing I've learned on this journey, again and again, is that you don't become someone else, you just become more you.  I've still got the same sense of humor, the same (I think they're loveable) quirks, the same dark places I go when I'm stressed.  The big difference is that as I become more me, I've also got this amazing community, this powerful history, this passion and commitment to the gospel, this shared hope for the future and love for God and life.

No comments: