6.28.2012

Letting Go

Thursday is my last full day of ministry at the peace and justice center.  Over the past four years, I've been part of some great projects, started others, collaborated with amazing people and worked to promote the social teaching of the church.  It's been a wonderful opportunity to bring my writing, research and organizing gifts to what I'm most passionate about--promoting social justice as a path to peace.

Someone else will be carrying on with the projects I've started. She'll do a great job, I'm sure.  She'll bring different perspectives, experiences and priorities.  I've been working with my replacement for two weeks and have every confidence that she'll do great.  Plus I know that my coworkers will continue their amazing ministry in new and exciting ways.

Still though, there is a bit of letting go in this all.  There always is in a transition.  I've been thinking back a lot to the last time I left a major job, when I left the City to enter the novitiate.  An old co-worker recently told me that I'm sort of an "empire-builder."  I create systems and projects and leave a job bigger than what it was when I started. What happens to the projects when I leave is out of my control.  There's a lot of truth to that.  And wisdom.  And humility.

Most of all, I'm finding myself filled with gratitude for the blessings and opportunities of these past four years.

No comments: