12.20.2012

Everything Old is New Again

I am visiting my Dad this week in DC, spending the week with him at his retirement center. We sold the family house about 8 years ago. Since then, or really since my Mom died 9 years ago, going "home" hasn't quite been the same. I am sure lots of you other "adult children" know what I mean!

Today I rented a car to take my Dad back up to the town where I grew up and he lived for 40+ years. We had lunch with the ladies who lunch, longtime friends of my parents.

This time we tried out the newly remodeled version of the Chinese restaurant that was my only chinese restaurant for the first 18 years of my life. We ate there or got take out almost every week growing up.  All others continue to be measured for better or worse in comparison to the Golden Pavilion.  Except that even the Golden Pavilion, in its reincarnated "Asian Bistro" form, is now also compared to the old Golden Pavilion, my standard bearer.

It passed. They still had old favorites on the menu. Dad enjoyed it, as did our friends, as did I. As the saying goes, everything old is new again!

No comments: