12.18.2012

Justice Shall Flourish, Peace Forever

Today's Responsorial Psalm fits our day and time so perfectly:

Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace for ever.

For he shall rescue the poor when he cries out, and the afflicted when he has no one to help him. He shall have pity for the lowly and the poor; the lives of the poor he shall save.

Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous deeds. And blessed forever be his glorious name; may the whole earth be filled with his glory.

Justice shall flourish in his time, and fullness of peace for ever.

I am visiting with my Dad these days, which means I am listening to nonstop news on the radio.  As you might imagine, most of it is focused on gun violence and the recent tragedy. As a person of faith, I find myself calling on God in prayer hoping that this will be a conversion moment for our society.  That our hearts broken open by unspeakable violence we are finally able to see the unspeakable violence daily in our midst. Did you know that in 2008 55 children were killed by gun violence each week in the US? How many children are abused each day? Hungry? Kilked in war. I am most surprised these days with how surprised people are by recent violent events. I think we have become numb to the violence we nurture daily.  We cherish life as Catholics, and I pray we are moving to a broader and all encompassing understanding of what that means. The message of valuing life and human dignity is so needed today. So to is action in support of life, justice and peace.

And so I pray. That we will stand with the God of Justice on the side of the lowly, poor and afflicted. That we will work for justice and peace, sharing God's love, for the Glory of God. Amen

No comments: