6.11.2013

Clutter

Before I left for my trip to visit our Sisters in the UK, my life was a bit of a whirlwind, end of semester style. I was finishing projects on my to do list literally up to the minute I had to lock up and head downstairs to my airport shuttle.

One thing anyone who has lived with me knows is that when life gets busy for me, the clutter piles up. You have to cut back somewhere, right?

In any case, to make a long story short, I finally had a good chunk of time yesterday to clear some of the clutter. What a joy it was to open my eyes and see the clear space on the floor and even the clean dusted quality of the little table in my prayer space.

Sometimes we just need to stop and take the time to declutter our lives. I think that goes for the spiritual life too.

While I was in the UK I spent a week of retreat in contemplative prayer and dialogue with with my Sisters. The entire experience was one big graced moment, but perhaps the most significant was sitting in silent prayer together.

Sometimes words can get in the way for me, a type of clutter of their own. Yet the silence is always there, waiting. So in addition to deluttering my room, I am also making the comittment (again) to clear some space for silent sitting with God as part of my regular prayer practice.

Where do you need to clear and away clutter and make space in your life?

No comments: