6.19.2013

Patience and a patient

Sorry for the blog silence. I have been otherwise occupied the past week. Without going into too much detail, I came to D.C. last Thursday to visit my Dad for Father's Day weekend. He had a medical situation and we ended up spending the whole weekend plus a couple of days in the hospital.

Most of our time was spent waiting. Waiting for tests. Waiting for results. Waiting for doctor's to explain said test results. Etc... It was frustrating for both of us, but at least I was there to experience the frustration with him and hopefully make it a little more bearable.  While I was in the chair next to the bed and not in the bed, it was an experience of solidarity and compassion building, as in the word's meaning as "suffering with." He's home now and I was able to shift some things around in my schedule to stay a little longer with him and get him settled.

Of course there are lots of things I should be doing at home. I am not even sure what all is on my to do list at this point, other then that I know it is quite long. But this is where I need to be right now. Developing patience as I companion the patient who is also my father.

Please keep my Dad in your prayers. I am also praying with and for all those without someone to keep them company in the hospital.

No comments: