3.27.2005

Fearful Yet Overjoyed

This morning during my personal prayer time, I decided to read the Resurrection stories in the 4 Gospels. This part jumped out at me from Matthew:

After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, approached, rolled back the stone, and sat upon it. … Then the angel said to the women in reply, "Do not be afraid! I know that you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has been raised from the dead, and he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him.' Behold, I have told you." Then they went away quickly from the tomb, fearful yet overjoyed, and ran to announce this to his disciples. And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them. They approached, embraced his feet, and did him homage. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." (Matthew Chapter 28)

Fearful yet overjoyed…. that SO explains how I feel this day. Aware that as we celebrate the New Life of Easter, I am exploring a new life of service with the groovy sisters. I am fearful – more of whether I can actually pull this off than of the practical transition issues. And yet, like Mary Magdalene and her friend, I am overjoyed. Jesus tells us, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers and sisters. I am risen. You too shall have new life."

Fearful yet overjoyed. In the tradition of the great women of the bible. Christ's friends and loved ones .. some of the first disciples. Reading those words somehow makes it all ok. I believe, and yet I pray for God to help me in my unbelief. I fear, and yet I pray for God to help me overcome that fear. To live in joy and hope.

2 comments:

Steve Bogner said...

Fearful and overjoyed reminds me of how I felt when we brought our first son home from the hospital. Fearful because we knew we were facing a big future, and overjoyed because... well he's our son!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Exactly!!!!

Joyfully living with the awesome power and mystery of this thing called life. This wondrous gift of God.