4.18.2005

Conclave Watch

With a 10 hour time difference, I'm thinking the Cardinals should be heading towards bed about now. And MSNBC reports that Black Smoke signals "No Pope Today." I'll admit I'm curious about the happenings in Rome. Especially as I'm starting to link MY future to the Church's future … this is pretty darn important!

I think the best thing to do is to simply pray for the Holy Spirit to do what the Holy Spirit does best as the Cardinals gather in Rome.

That said, if you want to follow the action here are some sites I've run across. Feel free to add more in the comments section:
Busted Halo's Virtual Conclave Blog
National Catholic Reporter's Ongoing Special Report (John Allen rocks and is also the CNN Vatican Analyst - also features daily reflections by Sr Joan Chittister)
America's Papal Transition page (with expert Fr. Thomas Reese, SJ)
The Tablet's Pope & Vatican page
Zenit - The World Seen from Rome

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I turned on CNN just in time to see the smoke come out. "Is it white? Is it black? The bells aren't ringing... Uhhh.... what does it look like from your angle?"

It was very moving, because of the power and secrecy involved, but also somewhat comic and, well, medieval. With all the advances in communication and public address, we are still waiting around for a stream of smoke (and also the relatively modern innovation of bells!) I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry so I did both!

I wish there was some website that could send an instant message or something the moment a new pope is elected...