4.04.2005

Pirates Bless Pope

On the way to work this morning I noticed a local pirate themed dive bar named the Pirate's Cove had this on their reader board … "God Bless the Pope." At work a number of coworkers (one of whom is a devout born again Christian) have expressed their condolences to me - as if it was my own biological father that had died. Goes to show what an impact this man had even on the non-Catholic world. That in itself is a ministry I suppose …. even in death.

-Commonweal now has an in depth archives of their coverage of PJPII over the past 26 years.
-Pax Christi USA has their own tribute page.
-So too do Catholic Relief Services.
And much much more to come I expect in the coming days.

Was there this much media/public attention in 1978? Or is it more a reflection of his personality and reach? All I remember from my 1st grade perspective was that as a Catholic School girl, we got a lot of "Pope" days off school when the pope died, there was a new pope, pope died, etc…

I am of course keeping him and our Church in my prayers. Thankful to God for giving us such leadership (particularly as it comes to peace), and trusting that the Holy Spirit will be with us and the College of Cardinals as they select the next Pope.

No comments: