4.30.2005

Taps on the shoulder

Ok, so TODAY is my actual "vocation anniversary." (Contrary to an earlier post which put it on April 13th). It was a year ago today that God worked through a friend to essentially shake my shoulders and wake me up to the fact that I’m being called to something. (Still working out what that something is, but I do have more and more clues!).

I realize that we’re all called to something. Which is why I’m feeling particularly blessed to have found virtual companions along the way. To those of you who are sharing your own "vocation journeys" in the blog word – whether that be to religious life/priesthood/ministry, as a mother, a father, husband, daughter, etc… - thank you! We’re all on the path of life, recognizing the Spirit moving among us and finding ways to respond in our own lives.

In the months before "the day" that jump started my serious discernment a year ago, there were many little moments that gave me some hints, some little taps on the shoulder from God as I like to think of them. One was running across this poem/prayer by Pedro Arupe, SJ:

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of the bed in the morning, what you do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, whom you know, what breaks your heart, what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything."

Reading that made my heart stop. Caused me to look over my shoulder (for the source of the tap!). I’ve shared Arupe’s words before on this blog, but I happily do so again. Sharing with you, but also reminding myself. Even if this whole journey seems absolutely insane sometimes, it’s not. So long as I stay focused on God. Nothing is more practical than being driven by the amazement, joy and gratitude that comes from God.

No comments: