5.01.2005

I will not leave you orphans

"I will not leave you orphans." That’s a line in this Sunday’s Gospel (John 14:15-21). I know it’s telling us about the Advocate, the Holy Spirit who will be with us always.

But reading it, I was also reminded of a line from that church song of my childhood – "Though the Mountains May Fall." "Though a mother forsake her child, He will not abandon you." That line always bothered me, though a mother forsake her child. What words for a young catholic school girl to have to sing!

This in turn led me to think of something Elizabeth Johnson talked about at the women’s convocation last weekend. She was talking about the communion of Saints, and thinking of them not as patrons (St So&So pray that I may have xyz) but as companions on the journey. I’m totally paraphrasing here but she talked about inviting them along to walk with us. This connects the living and the dead as mutual friends who walk along with and encourage each other. They are "cheering us on" to make our own contributions to the Church, our families and the world, and by remembering them we are strengthened and empowered.

While she’s not a "Saint" my mother is now part of this communion of saints. When she passed away a year and a half ago I’ll admit, that line from that song went through my head. But I knew in my heart, right there at her funeral in the same church where I’d sung that line countless times, that she had not abandoned me. That she would still be with me, always, cheering me on. And I am certainly strengthened and empowered by remembering her.

Add the Holy Spirit to the mix and we’ve certainly got lots of company on this journey called life. And then, for those moments when we still don’t get it, God gives us the wonders and beauty of creation to remember. As we sing in today’s responsorial psalm (Psalm 66), "Let all the earth cry out with Joy".

Now out for a quick walk to experience that joy in nature before I head to church.

No comments: