5.25.2005

Miracles do happen

As regular readers know, one of my pesky obstacles to pursuing a religious vocation is a large amount of personal debt. It's a long story, but is a combination of stupidly accumulated credit card debt and 2 years of non-stop cross-country plane tickets and rental cars when my mom was sick. My situation is apparently not uncommon with folks considering religious vocations these days.

I've been on a debt repayment plan for a year and a half now (which I started even before I started seriously thinking about becoming a Sister.) I'm living on a super tight budget, which interestingly enough has given me a great appreciation for a simple life style. Even with all that, I was still looking at 4 years or so before I was debt free and would be able to start novitiate.

In January, I asked my dad if he'd be able to help me out - especially once he sold the family house. He said no, and I let it go. I got myself into this mess, I can get myself out of it. And even if it takes a little longer, what's meant to be will be.

Well, he changed his mind. The house closed last week, and I just got back from depositing a very generous check from my dad in the bank. Once it clears I'll be able to write some checks which will instantly wipe out 1/4 of my debt - equal to what I've been paying off in a year on my "involuntary simplicity" plan.

Thanks Dad! Thanks Mom for any strings you pulled in heaven. Thanks God! Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

I keep pulling out the deposit slip and pinching myself to see if I'm imagining this little miracle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

~pen~ said...

i give dad two enthusiastic thumbs up!!

way to go! very, very cool :)

god googler said...

I did a debt replacement plan when I first thought about becoming engaged so my wife wouldn't have to take on my debt when we married. I paid off 24K and the remainder of my student loan in about 2 years while making less than 50K a year. Worked out great. It certainly helped that my sister in law paid for the wedding though.