5.03.2005

where did i put my inner peace?

I was feeling particularly overwhelmed earlier today. Some alone time with God and some time with my friend Henri Nouwen has helped. If you ever find yourself at a loss, I recommend picking up his Inner Voice of Love. Peruse the table of contents. Something WILL jump out at you. Flip to that page and let his wisdom pierce your soul. It always works for me. Tonight I found:

Befriend Your Emotions. It can be discouraging to discover how quickly you lose your inner peace. ... You thought you were centered; you thought you could trust yourself; you thought you could stay with God. ... Don't whip yourself for your lack of spiritual progress. If you do, you will easily be pulled even further away from your center. ... It is obviously good not to act on your sudden emotions. But you don't have to repress them, either. You can acknowledge them and let them pass by. In a certain sense, you have to befriend them so that you do not become their victim. ... Do not be discouraged. Be sure that God will truly fulfill all your needs. Keep remembering that.

I was going to erase my whiny post from early today. But instead, I am going to befriend those emotions. Acknolwedge them. But not be discouraged by them ... they're just part of the journey.

1 comment:

Steve Bogner said...

Consolation & desolation.... ups & downs... they will happen and it's not the end of the world. We just have to keep working at it, trusting that it will all work out. That, too, can be difficult!