6.26.2005

spreading the news

"Start spreading the news. I’m leaving today." … The only thing is, I’m NOT leaving today. Or any time soon. I’m not sure when I’m leaving. Chances are (if I finish my application and am accepted as a candidate with the groovy sisters) I’ll be gone more often over the next year. The most likely scenario for my year of candidacy is me still living and working here in Portland, but spending every other weekend with my own house/community of groovy sisters up in Seattle. I’m confident that God is in charge and all those details will work themselves out. But it does make it tricky telling folks the news.

I told my friend Monica at church tonight. She and I are the only original Sunday pre-school teachers left from when we started the program 5 years ago. I started by telling her I wasn’t teaching next year (it’s one of the things I’m pulling back from to give more time for discernment). I then told her why. Her reaction was the reaction I love. Utter surprise at first. Then a double take. Then a smile as they share their genuine happiness for me. Then they either tell me that they’re proud of me or that it gives them hope for the future of the church (as if I could save the whole church – but I know what they mean). I got the whole shebang from Monica. It was sweet actually. And much more fun than the "People still do that" or "Why would you do that" or "Huh?" responses I sometimes get .. admittedly usually from non-church friends and acquaintances.

I finished my autobiography this week! My entire life story in 10 pages. Now I’ve just got to wait for my doctors appointments and the rest of the paperwork to trickle in before I submit my application.

I figure once I’m accepted into candidacy and am officially in formation, I’ll spread the news more widely. For now I’m taking it one at a time and enjoying the reactions.

1 comment:

~pen~ said...

susan, this is so exciting! i wish i could be there for all the reactions...it's not surprising that those who aren't *church-y* are reacting the way they are, is it?

again, i feel so honored to be along for your discernment ride, even in cyberspace :)