7.18.2005

random God thoughts

As a companion piece to an earlier post today, I give you Susan’s random God thoughts….

Growing up there was a moving company named Guaranteed Overnight Delivery. The name was painted in big letters on their trucks, with the G … O… D…. in super big letters. It seemed like I always saw the truck on this one corner on my way home from school. It was like God was following me.

The thought has popped into my head lately at mass, after communion, when the priest puts the remainder of the consecrated hosts into the tabernacle and turns the key …. “He’s locking up Jesus.” A slightly sacrilegious thought I suppose and I know there’s a reason why this is necessary, but it inevitably comes to mind. I usually find myself stopping as I leave the church, not to genuflect as the truly pious do, but to talk to the now locked up Jesus. “I’ll be back to visit soon, don’t worry” I say as if it is my real human brother who has been confined … It’s one of my sillier God moments but not so silly at the same time in a strange Susan way.

Enough for now. The dogs look tuckered out after a hot day and I am too. Off to bed I think, my last as queen of this castle. Violet & Boots people come home tomorrow ….

I also need to be rested. I have my doctor’s appointment tomorrow for what I’ve been thinking of as my “nun-physical” for my groovy sister application.

Night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful thought, so much more meaningful than sometimes thoughtless gestures.

I get a similar sense when I look at pictures of the Vatican library with all the book locked away out of sight in cupboards. Given church history, it makes me think it isn't just thievery and sacrilege they're worried about. Is Peter holding the keys for us or against us?