7.13.2005

a sister, a captain, chaucer and harry potter

Sister Susan (an actual "groovy sister", not to be confused with "Sr. Susan-to-be" – namely me some day we hope & pray!) commented on my Harry Potter post over the weekend that Sister Thomas, an 87 year old member of the community I’m discerning with (the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace) was quite the Harry Potter fan. I’d had no idea about this facet of her personality, but had just lit a candle and said a prayer for her a short while before when I’d heard that she’d passed away.

Today I received via e-mail the homilies from Sister Thomas’ vigil and funeral masses as well as her obituary. This might sound a wee bit strange, but I LOVED reading about her. Yes I wish I’d had a chance to get to know her better, but in a weird way I feel as if I did know her. In my few interactions with her over the past few months I saw a twinkle in her eye and could sense in her a kindred spirit. As Susan said in her comment, Sister Thomas was a "wild, witty, opinionated, and totally unconventional nun." Of course, part of what I love about the "groovy sisters" is the fact they the are a collection of unconventional nuns who seem to fit together somehow into the amazing whole.

I learned in my reading today that Sister Thomas was a Captain in the Army during WWII before entering the Sisters of St Joseph in 1950! She was very well educated and wrote her doctorate dissertation on Chaucer. She taught grade school, high school, college and seminary classes. And she loved Harry Potter. How cool is that, an 87 year old sister who loved Harry Potter? I wonder who her favorite characters were?

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about this Sister Captain and vociferous reader. I’m going to end this post with a bit of Chaucer that was included towards the end of Sister Thomas’ obituary, in her honor. Enjoy!
But you that hold this tale a foolery,
As but about a fox, a cock, a hen,
Yet do not miss the moral, my good friend.
For Saint Paul says that all that’s written well
Is written down some useful truth to tell.
Then take the wheat and let the chaff lie still.
and now, good God, and if it be Thy will,
As says the Lord Christ, so make us all good men
and bring us into His high bliss. Amen.
Geoffrey Chaucer, the Nun’s Priest’s
Tale

5 comments:

Talmida said...

Your Sister Thomas sounds like a kindred spirit. I always find it surprising to see "little old ladies" whom I love sporting military uniforms in fading photos of their youth. My great auntie died a couple of years ago and she too was a captain during the war.

I'm sorry you lost your Sister. Let's hope she asks God to tell the Pope that Harry Potter rocks! Do you suppose she'll be reading over your shoulder as you read the next one, sorry to have died before the story has been resolved?

;-)

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks Talmida. I have a feeling she's doing all she can to spread the good news about HP. And I love that image of her reading over my shoulder.

Which reminds me, I need to check on my HP pre-order! I've built lots of free time into my schedule this weekend so I can read all about the goings on in the magical world. There's a big fight between good & evil I need to catch up on!

lorem ipsum said...

Love the Chaucer!

Did you hear the new pope doesn't like Harry Potter?He says that Harry Potter books have 'subtle seductions which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly.'

I wonder if he's read it. I'm not a HP fan in particular, but I'm all for a good story...

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

You know, I heard something about HP and PB16. I'm guessing it was not said ex cathedra though and am deciding to each his/her own!

Just like with my slight star wars and lord of the rings obsessions, I find a lot of spiritual themes in Harry Potter that challenge me and help me grow. Silly as that sounds from a kids book.

Willing to bet he wouldn't like the Golden Compass either. Another great thinking kids book.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

And for the record ... then Cardinal Ratzingers' Opinion of Harry Potter are described here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-1692541,00.html