9.02.2005

all time favorite

Thanks to Steph for reminding me of my all time favorite article in The Onion, "God Angrily Clarifies 'Don't Kill' Rule.

The time was right after 9/11. Everyone was clamoring for revenge. And those often irreverant sometimes crude folks at the Onion reminded us of what it's all really about ... God doesn't want us to kill people, people kill people. I especially love the picture (I think from the Sistine Chapel?) with the caption at the bottom ... "God." So here are a few words straight from God's post 9/11 press conference:

"I tried to put it in the simplest possible terms for you people, so you'd get it straight, because I thought it was pretty important," said God, called Yahweh and Allah respectively in the Judaic and Muslim traditions. "I guess I figured I'd left no real room for confusion after putting it in a four-word sentence with one-syllable words, on the tablets I gave to Moses. How much more clear can I get?" "But somehow, it all gets twisted around and, next thing you know, somebody's spouting off some nonsense about, 'God says I have to kill this guy, God wants me to kill that guy, it's God's will,'" God continued. "It's not God's will, all right? News flash: 'God's will' equals 'Don't murder people.'"


God is love.

No comments: