9.29.2005

getting my wings

This weekend I’m heading up North to the groovy sisters’ spot on the lake for a simple Ritual of Welcome for Hellen and me (the two candidates for vowed membership in the Western province).

My friend Jackie joked that it’s kind of like my religious life version of the Fly-Up ceremony in Girl Scouts. In a way, it is. Ritual is important. Marking growth, change and transition. I found the picture a while back from my Bridging Ceremony, the big day when I went from a mere Brownie to a Junior Girl Scout. I got a Girl Scout Pin, my Brownie Wings, and if memory serves me we were in a park and actually crossed a little bridge over a creek. Like I said, it was a big day in the life of this then little girl.

So Saturday is another big day on this journey called life, when I am welcomed by the groovy sister community as a candidate. Should be fun.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Peace,
Susan

6 comments:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Congrats, and enjoy!

Mark

Steph Youstra said...

Yay, you!

lorem ipsum said...

That sounds lovely! Congratulations!

HeyJules said...

I still remember getting my wings! What a wonderful thing ceremonies are...

Have a wonderful, wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Congrats, Susan, and God be with you on your journey.

CafeCath said...

I thought of my scouting "fly up" ceremony, too. (Same scenario, complete with tbe bridge over the creek.) To experience a ritual with such significance and power as a grown up is delightful!! Enjoy your wings!